Protect Your Property

You can take an active role in protecting your property from flood damage. The method you choose depends on your particular situation and may include more than one of the following:

  • You can divert water from your property by regarding or by constructing an earthen berm. (This may require a permit - check with the Building Department at 305-809-3956.)
  • There are many methods for protecting a structure from flooding, such as sandbagging. Prior to an expected storm, listen to local radio stations to learn sandbagging locations.
  • The construction of swales (a shallow ditch) and retention areas (small shallow depressions) are other effective methods of preventing flooding. You will need to consult with the City’s Building Department regarding permitting and design information for these methods.
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has a trove of publications which detail many ways of flood-proofing or repairing your home or business. Its entire library is available online at the FEMA website.
  • If roof damage from your home is creating a problem under the home, gutters can help direct the runoff away. Another way of protecting a building from flooding is by raising the building. This can be expensive but may be cost effective.