Draft Flood Maps
Update December 30, 2019 - "Preliminary" Flood Maps & SOMA
- Preliminary Flood Maps: No major differences were noted with the Draft flood maps released during August.
- Preliminary Summary of Map Actions (SOMA) (PDF): This is a list of map changes currently in effect that will likely be extinguished when the new flood maps become effective. As expected, all most all existing map changes (LOMAs and LOMRs) will be rescinded when the new maps take effect.
Update September 19, 2019 - LiMAW or New Coastal A Zones Added
Added layer showing new FEMA flood zone type, the Coastal Flood Zone. This will be a regulatory boundary line. Buildings on the seaward side - or touched by - this line, will need to adhere to the higher VE-zone construction standards.
Update August 26, 2019 - New Impact Map Added
To better show the actual proposed difference in elevations - explained below in more detail - a "New Flood Level Impacts" layer has been added to this map. Each building in the City is color coded to show the number of feet difference between current and proposed flood maps.
Preliminary Flood Maps
FEMA has released "preliminary" new flood maps. These maps aren’t yet in effect. The final flood maps wouldn’t likely become effective until the spring of 2021 at the earliest. In the meantime, City officials will be closely analyzing its options.
These maps don’t show an additional difference in elevation due to a change in mapping standards between the old and new proposed flood maps (datum NGVD29 to NAVD88 (PDF) equals -1.342 feet). To account for this change, add plus one-foot to any apparent increase.
- Example 1: If your building was in an AE-8 flood zone and is still shown in an AE-8 zone, then it actually experienced an increase of one-foot.
- Example 2: If your building was in an AE-6 flood zone and is proposed to be in an AE-9 zone, the increase appears to be three-feet. However, the actual increase would be four-feet.
Previous X-Zone Buildings
Structures removed from the X-zones didn’t previously have a flood level associated with them, so this mapping standard difference wouldn’t be relevant. To compare Elevation Certificate measurements, subtract -1.34-feet. (All existing ECs were measured to the NGVD-29 datum.)
- Online Preliminary Flood Maps of the entire city. This is a digitized collage with address search function.
- Original FEMA Paper Maps:
- Index - Panel index for of Monroe County. (City only has panels within its City limits.) (PDF)
- Panel 1508 - Fleming Key, Trumbo Point, Upper Sunset Key and W Sigsbee (PDF)
- Panel 1509 - N Roosevelt Boulevard, New Town, Sigsbee, W Stock Island (PDF)
- Panel 1516 - Old Town and Lower Sunset Key (PDF)
- Panel 1517 - S Roosevelt Boulevard, Mid-town, Airport (PDF)
- Panel 1528 - Stock Island, The Triangle area and along Cow Key Channel (PDF)