Bahama Village Redevelopment Advisory Committee
About the Committee
Bahama Village Redevelopment Advisory Committee (BVRAC) was established in 2008 by the City Commission (Ordinance 08-018) and their responsibilities were updated in 2011 (Ordinance 11-16 (PDF)). The mission and duties of the Committee are advisory to the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) and are limited to property within the boundaries of the Bahama Village CRAs follows:
- Recommend to the City Commission changes to the Bahama Village Redevelopment Plan and city ordinances that would promote the purposes of Florida Statue section 163387, and those which would improve the process for funding.
- Recommend to the CRA projects within Bahama Village best suited for the use of redevelopment trust funds.
- Recommend to the Naval Properties Local Redevelopment Authority (LRA) the use of land owned by the LRA, but falling within the boundaries of the CRA, for the benefit of the BVCRA.
- Review applications from individuals and organizations eligible to receive Trust Fund Expenditures (TIF) funds to the CRA those projects they determine by majority vote to deserve consideration by the CRA. Except in circumstances involving a justifiable emergency and those projects under taken prior to the enactment of Ordinance 08-018 preference should be given to those projects with a contemplated plan of action to ensure the most appropriate and fiscally responsible use of taxpayers funds, rather than to projects seeking reimbursement.
Members of the BVRAC are appointed by the Mayor and each of the City Commissioners. Their term is equal and runs parallel to that of the appointing commission member. Members of the committee serve without pay. Qualifications for membership are as follows:
Each member shall:
- Be an active member of a social, recreational, religious or similar organization located within such district. An individual not residing within the district, but otherwise qualifying for membership based upon his or her organizational participation, must provide a letter of support from the head of such group.
- Reside within the boundary of the district entitled to receive trust funds (Bahama Village Community Redevelopment Area)
Presentations by Consultants Zyscovich Architects are made available in PDF for review. The improvements and Community Redevelopment Trust Fund expenditures (TIF) that occur within the Bahama Village Redevelopment Subarea are governed by the 2010 Community Redevelopment Plan (PDF), specifically the ten Bahama Village Redevelopment Objective and Strategies (PDF) (Section 4.04) and Florida State Statute for CRAs (PDF). The Bahama Village Redevelopment Subarea is managed by City staff and the Bahama Village Redevelopment Advisory Committee, otherwise known as BVRAC.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Assistance
It is the policy of the City of Key West to comply with all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Please call the TTY number at 800-955-8771 or 800-955-8770 (Voice) or ADA Coordinator 305-809-3811 at least five business days in advance for sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or materials in accessible format.