Where is the building measured from?

Three different places, depending upon what measurement is needed.

  1. Building Envelope (physical size of the building): From the bottom of the building (usually bottom of the floor joists) to the highest part of the building. Note: If the area under a building - including freeboard area - is enclosed more than 299 square feet, this becomes the lowest floor and contributes to building size.
  2. Flood Elevations: If built incorrectly, a concrete slab in a V-zone could be ruled the lowest horizontal supporting crossmember and the entire building would then be considered below flood; regardless of how high the first floor was built. Ask before you build. Types of flood zones:
    1. Type "A" Flood Zones: From sea level (NGVD) to the top of the first finished floor.
    2. Type "V" Flood Zones: From sea level (NGVD) to the bottom of the lowest horizontal supporting cross-member.
  3. Building Height: From the crown-of-the-road (at the highest point of the closest street adjacent to the building) to the uppermost part of the building

Show All Answers

1. Will the exemption allow me to build a taller building?
2. How high can I elevate my building?
3. Why the extra four-feet above Base Flood Elevation (BFE)?
4. Can I raise my building so the first floor is higher than four feet above the flood level.
5. The referendum said buildings could be as tall as 40-feet, so why can't I build a 40-foot building?
6. Where is the building measured from?
7. Why is the building height exception so confusing?