Martin Luther King Jr. Community Pool
2022 Temporary Pool Schedule
The MLK Pool is closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays. The Pool will be open only from 9 AM-Noon on 9/14 and 9/15 and closed on 9/16.
The Dr. Martin Luther King Community Pool houses two pools. One baby pool and a standard swimming pool. Also housed at 300 Catherine Street is Willie Ward Park, which has a small playground and picnic tables, along with the Nelson English Park, which has basketball courts, a playground, and open space for picnics.
- The lifeguard is always in charge - stop when the whistle is blown.
- No hyperventilation or extended underwater swimming is allowed.
- Shower before entering the pool. The shower on the pool deck is for rinsing off after swimming. Take a soap shower downstairs before entering the pool.
- You are responsible for your belongings. Leave your valuables at home.
- Always walk. No pushing allowed or horseplay on the pool deck.
- No foul language.
- Water in a clear, plastic container is allowed. No other food or drink is allowed on the deck.
- No street clothes on the pool deck, except for parents watching children.
- No cut-offs, thong bathing suits, or topless ladies.
- No changing of clothes on the pool deck.
No suntan oil is allowed. Please apply sunscreen at home, or if applied here, rub it in well and wait 10 minutes before entering the pool.
- No open sores are allowed. Please do not enter the pool if you are bleeding.
- Children under the age of 5 must-have adult supervision at all times.
- Non-swimmers must stay in the shallow area.
- All swimmers under the age of 16 must pass a swim test to be able to use the deep end.
- The pool furnishes dive rings and balls. Do not bring other toys to the pool.
- No floats or fins allowed. Baby floats equipped with seats are permitted.
- Babies are not allowed to swim in the nude or wear disposable diapers.
- Diving is allowed in the 10-foot area only. Only front dives such as cannonballs and jackknifes are permitted. No flips, twists, or back dives.
- No chicken fighting or any contact with the neck area.
- Do not hang on the ropes or the basketball rim.
- There should be no wrestling within the marked shallow area.
- Please do not let your children run in the baby pool or climb on the fence.
Personal radios with headphones are allowed. No other radios are allowed.
When the lifeguard detects lightning, they will give three (3) loud whistles. Gather your belongings and immediately exit the pool deck. The pool is the highest body of water; it is very dangerous to stand on the pool deck during lightning.