What are the requirements for owner builders?

Owner-builder applicants making application for a building permit should be advised of the following provisions and requirements that apply to owner-builders:

  • Proof of Ownership Prior to a building permit being issued to you, your must submit proof of ownership of the land concerned in the application in a form of a recorded deed, showing you own the property, or a copy of mortgage or warranty deed of the land, showing you are obligated to purchase the property or a statement to contain legal description of property and indicate property is in your name.
  • Legal description and name on document of proof must correspond to the name and legal description on the application. Disclosure Statement State law requires construction to be done by a licensed contractor. Your have applied for a permit under and exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own contractor even though you do not have a license.
  • You must supervise the construction yourself.
  • Your may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or a farm outbuilding. You may also build or improve a commercial building at cost of $25,000 or less. The building must be done for your own use or occupancy. It may not be built for sale or lease.
  • If you sell or lease more than one building you have built yourself within one year after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built it for sale or lease, which is a violation of this exemption.
  • You may not hire an unlicensed person as your contractor.
  • Your construction must be done according to building codes and zoning regulations.
  • It is your responsibility to make sure that people employed by you have licenses required by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances.
  • Insurance: You should be advised that your day labor employees cause any damage to persons or property, or if any of your day labor employees are injured on the job, you are liable. Your regular home insurance policy ordinarily does not cover this type of liability. Withholding Taxes, Etc.: You should be advised to investigate your responsibility for withholding Social Security, Federal and State Unemployment Insurance Taxes and Federal Income Taxes from the wages of employees working for you on the proposed construction, and for making returns thereof to the proper agencies.
  • Restrictions for Owner-Builders: An owner-builder, subject to the foregoing provisions and requirements, is limited to constructing one single family or duplex residence each year for his/her own or erecting a one story building of not more than 500 square feet for commercial or industrial use, or adding a first floor addition of not more than 500 square feet to a commercial or industrial building; or maintenance or repairs and non-structural alterations, not to exceed $5,000 on any building which he/she owners or leases. Notice: Separate permits required for Electrical, Plumbing, Roofing, and Mechanical work.

Show All Answers

1. Why do I need a Building Permit?
2. What types of work need a Building Permit?
3. What work is unlawful without a Permit?
4. How do I get a Building Permit?
5. What are the requirements for owner builders?
6. What is a Demolition Permit?
7. How do I get an Electrical Permit?
8. Why do I need a Mechanical Permit?
9. How do I get a Mechanical Permit?
10. Why do I need a Plumbing Permit ?
11. How do I get a Plumbing Permit?
12. What is an inspection?
13. When is a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) required?
14. When is a Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) issued?
15. When is a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy issued?
16. When is a Certificate of Completion issued?